Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   E-Body (https://moparforums.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Unisteer rack & pinion (https://moparforums.com/forums/f12/unisteer-rack-pinion-21519/)

hemiaction 07-10-2018 07:19 AM

Unisteer rack & pinion

Have anybody installed a rack & pinion steering from Unisteer ? and have trouble with the 90 degree conection between steeringshaft and the rack from unisteer , there are used 2 universal joints , they have too take 45 degree each , and you not get any smooth steering feeling , anybody have an idea what too do for too get this right ? , unisteer dont know and say this will work , but it does NOT.
Thanks Lars

Iowan 07-10-2018 10:11 AM

I don't have experience with this one but I have with others. The steering shaft has to be fazed like a drive shaft, if you have even one joint off you will feel it.......

RacerHog 07-10-2018 07:10 PM

Photo might help us address the problem.... :)
Also what are you trying to install it in?

Jim121 03-30-2020 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by hemiaction (Post 144957)
Have anybody installed a rack & pinion steering from Unisteer ? and have trouble with the 90 degree conection between steeringshaft and the rack from unisteer , there are used 2 universal joints , they have too take 45 degree each , and you not get any smooth steering feeling , anybody have an idea what too do for too get this right ? , unisteer dont know and say this will work , but it does NOT.
Thanks Lars

Jim121 03-30-2020 05:46 PM

Jim121

Did you get your steering shaft problems worked out?? How do you rate the Unisteer Rack and Pinion steering set up now that you have used it for a while?? I’m seriously considering converting my 70 Challenger steering to the Unisteer system. In order to have better room in the engine bay as well have better steering and less weight. I would appreciate your input please.

hemiaction 03-30-2020 11:53 PM

Unisteer rack & pinion

Originally Posted by Jim121 (Post 153348)
Did you get your steering shaft problems worked out?? How do you rate the Unisteer Rack and Pinion steering set up now that you have used it for a while?? I’m seriously considering converting my 70 Challenger steering to the Unisteer system. In order to have better room in the engine bay as well have better steering and less weight. I would appreciate your input please.

Hello. I have done some testing , have now a double universal joint and a single joint , and it is about 90 % ok. but it could be better , i am looking for other options , just try too find a 90 degree steering gear, in a small compact size , On older Toyota Hiace With right side steering , there was used a 90 degree gear that can be used , so right now i am looking too get one of these and install it on the rack , and get rid of the universal joint setup , thats my idea, if you buy the rack and pinion from
unisteer , and follow their instruction and mounting i think you will be disapointed , we have 2 Challengers here With the unisteer setup and that is not recomended , not at all.
Thanks Lars

Jim121 03-31-2020 06:45 AM

Unisteer

Did you get my Reply from this AM?????