Closing deal on Charger 1974

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Closing deal on Charger 1974

Hi guys, im 80% in finalizing a deal to buy a charger 1974.
car runs and drives, has a supposed clean title. Car has been inspected by my body repair shop and they thinks it's a great buy.

Wondering what you think? I was in a hurry and wasn't able to do a full inspection, but for the price that I'm buying it I think it's well worth it, plan on paying 5500 USD.

Previous owner seems to have added some stuff on the back to lift it, maybe extra leaf spring. He says the engine is a 318, but i tried decoding the VIN and seems to have originally come with a 360. Can you ID the engine? I won't be able to take another look till next week, had to travel out of town.

Anything else I should know? Me and my dad are so excited for this opportunity.

Old 07-28-2022, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 501 Likes on 483 Posts
I think I would be looking for the VIN on different parts of the car, I don’t like the way the VIN tag has been buffed off. You should be able to find it on the core support and on the inside of the Lt quarter panel drip rail in the trunk. The hood and bumpers are off an earlier car I’m thinking 71 so who knows what it is…
The small block should have its displacement cast into the side of the block in fairly large number’s.
the car looks like someone’s mop job to me…
Old 07-28-2022, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Iowan
I think I would be looking for the VIN on different parts of the car, I don’t like the way the VIN tag has been buffed off. You should be able to find it on the core support and on the inside of the Lt quarter panel drip rail in the trunk. The hood and bumpers are off an earlier car I’m thinking 71 so who knows what it is…
The small block should have its displacement cast into the side of the block in fairly large number’s.
the car looks like someone’s mop job to me…
Yeah I can absolutely tell the old owner did a hack job, but I'm happy with the current state... I think a restomod will be better than an actual clean stock rebuild.
Old 07-28-2022, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

My point was make sure it is what it’s supposed to be even compare the VIN tag against the title before you pay the man. Trust nothing…
Old 07-29-2022, 11:05 AM

My point was make sure it is what it’s supposed to be even compare the VIN tag against the title before you pay the man. Trust nothing…
I agree and appreciate the input

Any tips if I move forward? What route would you take with this car?
Old 07-29-2022, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

I guess it depends on your Budget and your intended use for the car. A slick paint and straight body work are hard to beat, small things like removing the ugly factory side marker lights would be a plus. Modern wheels and tires along with suspension and brakes. And I’m not sure if I would do this first or last but I’d go with a Gen lll and a wind mill of some sort.
It all depends on how much money or talent you have.
Old 07-29-2022, 04:30 PM

I guess it depends on your Budget and your intended use for the car. A slick paint and straight body work are hard to beat, small things like removing the ugly factory side marker lights would be a plus. Modern wheels and tires along with suspension and brakes. And I’m not sure if I would do this first or last but I’d go with a Gen lll and a wind mill of some sort.
It all depends on how much money or talent you have.
Thanks, I had similar ideas. Some American racings, tires, and nicer suspension, disc brakes. Body work obviously eventually.

Intended use for the car will be just a weekend driver I guess? Just a nice car me and my dad can enjoy and drive. No racing of such. Some mild performance upgrades eventually after I figure out everything on the engine.

Im still new to all of restoring a car. My last 8 years I have driven a Tacoma 2003.

Could you elaborate on the "Gen 3 and a windmill"?
Old 07-29-2022, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Gen lll is a late model Hemi the windmill would be a super charger or turbocharger. lol
Old 08-03-2022, 08:24 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's a cool looking car. For myself I would work with what is there now. Get her sorted out and painted. Heck it's already in the paint shop. . Then decide later on pricy upgrades. (Paint will be pricy enough) Definealty keep it black. Black Chargers are cool.
I never tear something apart unless I can put it back together again. And that's the tough part. I've known too many guys that got in over their heads and ended up with an expensive mess. I have a friend that tore his truck apart 20 years ago with big plans. It's still torn apart.
The following users liked this post:
RacerHog (08-03-2022)