Ebay, Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 11:55 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ebay, Yes or No?

I've been searching Ebay and I am noticing they have a lot of the nicer upgrades people look for at like half the cost! Is it a good idea to order stuff off of ebay? I mean I am looking and I can pretty much upgrade all my supsenion off of it with Hotchkis and SPC for a fraction of the cost through the other sites like Summit or Jegs. I mean I know I love the idea of having a high end car where the stuff matters like steering and ride. What have your guy's experience been using ebay? And what are some definite upgrades you think I should do? I know I want to do polyurethane bushing and stuff along with new control arms and shocks all around. Any brands you've had that have been better then others? I am looking for everything to help make my car my dream machine.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:03 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I deal with ebay everyday and have bought MANY parts off of ebay. Just bought a oil pain for the roadrunner, bought my quarter panels for my coronet a few weeks ago. Bout the interior pillar trim for my challenger a while back off ebay. I also sell on ebay as well. Ebay is a great place to do business. Some things to remember when shopping though, look at peoples feedback. Feedback is everything. IF your looking at someone with 200+ feedback at 98% or better chances are they are going to be good to deal with. You can click on a sellers feedback in ebay and go look at what previous buyers and sellers have had to say about their transaction with that person. Also if by chance you end up getting screwed by a seller (very doubtful if you pick a seller with good feedback) you can open a case through ebay. When someone opens a case against a seller on ebay, ebay will freeze the amount of money of the transaction in the sellers account. Meaning the seller can't touch it until the case is resolved. Ebay is more for protecting the buyer than it is for protecting the seller. It's actually scarier to sell on ebay than it is to buy. The reason is, and I've been through this many times. Someone can have the exact item your selling but theirs is broke. So they buy yours and when they get it they open a case and say that they received the item broken. Ebay comes in and makes sure you give their money back and they send you back their broken p.o.s. item. I sold an acoustic guitar in a hard case once. Sold the guitar for $400.00. It was my personal guitar I always took great care of it. I packed it very good and inside the hard case let all the tension out of the strings just to be sure it wouldnt be under stress in the case. The person that got it said that they received it and the neck was completely broken in half. I asked them if the case was damaged. They said no. It would have been impossible for the guitar to have gotten broke in shipping without the case getting damaged as well. Long story short I had to give that p.o.s. his money back and I got his broken guitar. And he got my babied guitar in great condition for free. So yes you are very very safe buying on ebay. Also make sure you check how much they are charging for shipping. Some people like to trick people by selling a hundred dollar item for .99 cents and try to charge you 200 bucks for shipping on something that would usually cost 20 bucks. I believe ebay has cracked down on that as well, but its always a good idea to check.

And by the way if you haven't dealt with ebay, you probably don't have a paypal account. Paypal is the most common way of sending and receiving money on ebay. It doesn't cost you any extra to have a paypal account to buy with. When you sell or receive money through paypal they do take a fee out. Nothing huge. I just sold a necklace for 28.99 3.00 shipping last night paypal took like 2 bucks if I remember right or just under. Now if you sell a car or something worth thousands of dollars.. dont let the buyer send the money through pay pal cause when your talking big money that fee looks a lot bigger. Sold a 40 ford pickup I restored a long while back. Sold it for 12,500 I dont remember exactly how much the fees were on that but if I remember right it ended up being over $500.00 that paypal took out of it for their cut. They are a completely legit company as well. How it works is, you give them all your bank account info and they just take the money directly out of your account and place it directly in the sellers account. Boom you just instantly paid for your item. And a good seller will have it shipped out within a day or 2 afterwards.

Last edited by rcknrolfender79; 03-24-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
I hate polyurethane bushings, they make a car stiff and ride like a brick crap house. That was the worst mistake I have ever did on a car. Now if your into road racing that stuff is great. But for a daily driver or a long weekend warrior never again for me.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
silly -

I have had really good luck with eBay buy car parts and stuff for my other hobbies. BUT .. I usually know what I'm looking for and can take a pretty good guess on quality based on pictures and description.

Basic rule, if something doesn't look or "feel" quite right, pass.

Archer
Old 03-24-2013, 02:20 PM
Mopar Fan

Good info, the only thing that bothers me is I see the same pics all over ebay, the sample pics from catalogs a lot of the time. Never the actual item, so should I trust these type of sellers? I know ebay has a lot of at home business people who buy bulk items and just sell them as if they were a store themselves so I figure that is why they have the website pictures.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:31 PM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by PURPLE HORONET
I hate polyurethane bushings, they make a car stiff and ride like a brick crap house. That was the worst mistake I have ever did on a car. Now if your into road racing that stuff is great. But for a daily driver or a long weekend warrior never again for me.
Are they really that bad? I've always heard they were pretty good after you broke them in. I know they last a lot longer then rubber bushing and lets face it. I've known when I got done installing some stuff on my car, even bushing. At the end I grab my beer and just drink it down and say "I never want to ******* do that again...". Ha ha. But I mean that input is good since I've never had them personally. Anyone else have comments on poly from rubber bushings?
Old 03-24-2013, 02:43 PM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by PURPLE HORONET
I've heard the same about poly bushings. Also have been told they make your car squeak and creak like crazy. Not sure how true it is but not something I'd take a chance on.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:57 PM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by SillyxMongoose
Good info, the only thing that bothers me is I see the same pics all over ebay, the sample pics from catalogs a lot of the time. Never the actual item, so should I trust these type of sellers? I know ebay has a lot of at home business people who buy bulk items and just sell them as if they were a store themselves so I figure that is why they have the website pictures.
Most of these kinds of listings are fine to deal with. A lot of them that you see like that are from actual businesses. They just have so much stuff to list that they don't want to take the time to take a picture of the exact thing they are listing. I can't say as I blame 'em. Most of those businesses have really really high feedback like 10000+. Feedback is everything. If they've got good feedback they are good to deal with. My AMD quarter panels I bought for my coronet were just a catalog photo, I couldn't be happier with them. I also bought a gas tank and sending unit for the roadrunner recently and those were just catalog photos as well. So yeah just look at the feedback and usually an actual business will have the name of their business as their ebay name. I think summit even has an ebay account. And of course all your going to see from them is the catalog photos of stuff.

Oh and speaking of body metal... AMD and only AMD when it comes to patch panels or quarter panels or any body metal really unless of course you can find new old stock or something directly off of a car. I had a 68 coronet 440 before I had my R/T. I made the mistake of buying a lower quarter panel from yearone... worst mistake ever! It looked to be the right fit out of the box. But when I held it up to the car it didn't curve right. Unfortunately I didn't realize it til after I'd cut a corner off of the panel to be able to hold it up to the car so I couldnt return it. I spent friggin HOURS beating the hell out of it to get it to be the right curvature. Looked pretty decent when it was done but I didn't have an english wheel or nothing to get it good and smooth. So I was going to have to use quite a bit of body filler to smooth out where I'd pounded it into shape. Ended up selling the car before I got to doing that though.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Mopar Fan

Luckily I don't need any body work on my car. Ha ha, Some panel fit but from what I see it all looks to be solid though I might be scared if I was to sand blast the body. I don't think I will though, that is so more more money for a weekend car. It may have some bondo here and there but I don't it can be too bad, I will probably take a magnet to it when I get back in to figure out what is metal and what is bondo. I am trying to list how much everything is going to cost me so I can buy the items in a good order when they come available and have a base price for the stuff and hopefully maybe snag it a bit cheaper on eBay just so I can save a buck or two or a hundred for something else. Maybe paint? As for the poly thing, do you guys think it would work out to be better after a few thousand miles on the car?
Old 03-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Polyurethane bushings means the bushing is half plastic and half rubber vs the regular rubber of stock bushings.

If you think about it the ride will be somewhat more stiffer because the polyurethane will NOT take up the road jar the same as the full rubber does. The rubber would absorb while the poly will deflect it.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:00 PM
Mopar Fan

I guess I will flip a coin when it comes to the time of ordering the bushings. Ha ha.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Stuck the poly bushings in a 90 mustang front to rear. It rode horrible I ruined the car. It would hang a curve and lauch super but other than that it sucked. I sold the car because it was so stiff and was like riding in a dump truck. I also for a friend stuck all the poly bushings in a Chevelle, also road like a dump truck. Stuck a set of poly bushings on the handle bars of my old shovel head HD. It doubled the vibration coming threw the bars. I threw them in the trash after a 30 minute ride.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:54 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
One think to do on ebay USE a credit card offers more protection.. & maybe take pictures before shipping.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:58 PM
Mopar Fan

Upon more research I looked into it and I think I will go with rubber, it might be more expensive but will be worth it. Lol.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:32 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by SillyxMongoose
Upon more research I looked into it and I think I will go with rubber, it might be more expensive but will be worth it. Lol.
Thats your best choice, unless its going to be a road racecar or on the dragstrip full time. Your car will thank you in the long run and your back.. LOL..

I have over 400 transactions on ebay and never had a problem. Buying and selling. The only down fall I see is certain items such as engine parts "NEW" if a part is wrong its a pain in the rear to send back. Also some people will rape you on shipping. Watch out for that
Old 03-25-2013, 05:01 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts
I have used Energy Supension Poly bushings in most front end rebuilds , as long as they are coated in the Energy grease they do not squeak . The brease is very sticky worst than honey but works great , I have not noticed a worse ride with them but Mopar suspension are a lot different from Ford or GM .
Old 03-25-2013, 08:23 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 118 Likes on 116 Posts
I was leery of the place for years, but have never been burnt. I bought an entire Jeep Cherokee off eBay, in fact, and it worked out just fine.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
I use ebay and hate it. Bear in mind I buy things, have never sold anything.

1--Keyword spamming and lack of ebay enforcement has made searches almost enraging in their frustration. A simple search, example, of "Megasquirt" returns over 7500 hits

2--Because of imbedded (what are they called) advertising links, what is not returned from keyword spamming IS from these horrid nonsensical links

3--As "damn handy" as Paypal is, you'd better HOPE you never EVER get into any dispute over a payment. Worse, there is "nobody" at the other end of either Paypal or Ebay to pick up the phone. Paypal and Ebay should be an anti-trust violation

4--Most of ebay's "site improvements" has made things harder to use, not easier. The feedback system, as far's I'm concerned, is meaningless
The following users liked this post:
kyhemicuda (05-17-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 10:16 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by 440roadrunner
I use ebay and hate it. Bear in mind I buy things, have never sold anything.

1--Keyword spamming and lack of ebay enforcement has made searches almost enraging in their frustration. A simple search, example, of "Megasquirt" returns over 7500 hits

2--Because of imbedded (what are they called) advertising links, what is not returned from keyword spamming IS from these horrid nonsensical links

3--As "damn handy" as Paypal is, you'd better HOPE you never EVER get into any dispute over a payment. Worse, there is "nobody" at the other end of either Paypal or Ebay to pick up the phone. Paypal and Ebay should be an anti-trust violation

4--Most of ebay's "site improvements" has made things harder to use, not easier. The feedback system, as far's I'm concerned, is meaningless
Agree 100% on how ebay screwed up the search for parts. The problem is linking universal parts to all cars thats total BS..
Old 03-27-2013, 09:26 AM
Mopar Fan

Yeah, I've been having that problem too. Like I look up my car and its year and model and it ends up with 28,000 results which half of them are "universal" parts. It makes it impossible to know which parts actually work for my car, I usually am cross referencing with Jegs or Summit to make sure it works.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:58 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Yah looked on ebay today,,searched.. 1967 R/T Coronet over 24,000 yah sure, what does this item have to do with a coronet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Butt-Weld...d5fa79&vxp=mtr
Old 03-28-2013, 09:28 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 118 Likes on 116 Posts
it's the same bit on craigslist. they let these morons just put 2,000 keywords so that any and every search brings up their item. i won't buy it on principle from a mook who does that.