Solid state regulator

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solid state regulator

66 Coronet 318 poly...I am on my third SMP regulator. I still get voltage spiking 15.2 on the freeway. Anyone swapped out for a OEM look solid state one? Which is recommended ? Found this on Amazon...I want to use the stock wiring. Price seems kinda cheap, don;t want crap..

Old 03-04-2023, 10:04 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Hello

I've heard from a YouTuber (UTG Garage) that a lot of aftermarket replacements are already electronic as opposed to sticking with the original electro-mechanical (points) design. Try popping the cover off one of your failed regulators to see whats inside. If the unit is mechanical supposedly it's possible to clean and adjust the contacts but, I don't know any further details on that.

I would also make sure there is no excessive voltage drop on the IGN wire going to the regulator as this could also result in an overcharging situation and make sure the regulator has a good ground through it mounting screws.

As for your question regarding that Amazon unit... It may be fine... it may not. As you've no doubt discovered reliability is the price of using aftermarket parts... It's sad but, true. OEM NOS (New Old Stock) is a possibility but, may demand a higher price and may not be as readily available as aftermarket parts. I usually check eBay.

Hope this helps.

Screenshot from UTG video: Do You Own Your Car, Or Does It Own You
He is holding a regulator with the cover removed. As you can see it's electronic.

Last edited by dodgem880; 03-05-2023 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-05-2023, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the information. The SMP one I have is oem style, mechanical.
Old 03-05-2023, 02:02 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
It looks like Standard offers two regulators, VR101 and a cheaper economy VR101T. Both are seemingly mechanical.

In my search I did come a cross a 2.5 year Amazon review that claims the VR101 was once electronic.
I just spoke to SMP Standard Motor Products who sells a replacement
VR101 (as listed here on Amazon) but is now a mechanical relay though it used to be electronic.
Tip off, it is a mechanical relay if it has wire wound power resistors exposed on bottom of case.

Seems no name brand manufacturer is selling a solid state alternator voltage regulator anymore.

Summit racing only sells the SMP mechanical VR101 and had no other options.

Bought a BWD (now owned by SMP) model R280 (correct case and terminals identical to VR101) at Advance and it too was a mechanical relay

Ordered a VR706 at Autozone as online picture was correct supposedly made by WELLS and turns out picture is wrong and box arrives and its the square flat pack solid state regulator with triangle shaped plug and used in more modern Mopars with newer alternators.

There seem to be various NO BRAND China options on Ebay but all appear to not have a warranty
Disadvantages of mechanical relay regulators:
Points wear and need periodic adjustment
Points wear and wear out
Relay cant switch at solid state speeds and voltage will pulsate and vary much more than solid state
Causes RF noise on radios due to relay point arc a normal occurrence of relays with voltage
Shorter life to a mechanical system vs all electronic
Makes you wonder why SMP would turn out such stuff

Buy if your desperate otherwise look elsewhere.
Sad

69 Fury
Old 03-05-2023, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by dodgem880
It looks like Standard offers two regulators, VR101 and a cheaper economy VR101T. Both are seemingly mechanical.

In my search I did come a cross a 2.5 year Amazon review that claims the VR101 was once electronic.
Thanks