Update and future plans

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 08:17 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Update and future plans

Gents,

It's been a while since I posted on here. I did some work over the holidays I wanted to tell y'all about, and I have some questions regarding my future plans.

Update: My engine was burning oil and getting poor fuel economy, so over winter break I "replaced" the valve seals (there really weren't any to speak of) and I popped off the intake manifold and cleaned all that carbon crap out of the heat crossover. I also ended up replacing the choke thermostat. I finished it off by repainting the manifold and I put on some pretty Proform chrome valve covers. I created a photo album so I could share some pictures of what I did: https://photos.app.goo.gl/pLrQUMCeL2rsc9Zq9

Result: I no longer burn oil out the wazoo, but my mpg has gone from 6 to (Drumroll please).... 7 miles to the gallon! While the engine does run better with a working choke, I suspect at least one dead cylinder as the major culprit of my bad gas mileage.

All that is good and well, and now I'm moving into my next project, which is an entirely fresh motor. My overall plan is to find a 360 block and have it bored +.030" and then build it up from there with a decent cam (haven't made a decision on that, and won't until I see if one comes with the block), performer RPM heads (They don't seem to make regular performer heads for Small Block Mopar), an aluminum intake (If Edelbrock 7176 isn't the best option, please let me know before I waste my money), and a Holley 4160 that my buddy got for me to rebuild.

I'm thinking about buying an aluminum intake manifold from Edelbrock, part #7176. I've carefully compared it to my current manifold, and I have two main points of concern:

#1 My intake has a male fitting for a question-mark shaped coolant hose that connects the intake manifold to the water pump. The Edelbrock has a hole for this, but it lacks a male fitting. Is this male fitting something I could buy and stick in there to make the hose work?

#2 My stock intake has the heat cross-over, which is necessary because it heats the choke coil. The Holley 4160 I have to put on this intake has an electric choke (and indeed the intake has no provision for a regular choke), so why does it still have the heat cross-over built into it? Also, I notice that the edelbrock is missing a plate that is riveted to the bottom of it that is meant to keep oil from hitting the extremely hot heat crossover.

I'd love to hear from y'all and see what you think about what I'm doing, and any suggestions you might have.

Thanks for your time!!!
Old 01-25-2022, 07:49 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 879 Likes on 858 Posts
Plenty of good baselines to choose from in the 360 building area.... Do you have a basic Budget in mind?
Here are a few to ponder>>>>>>>>
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/7-...crate-engines/

My first question would be>>> Do you have a Smog Check program in your area that you have to comply with? Before you get started?

Last edited by RacerHog; 01-25-2022 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:32 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RacerHog
Plenty of good baselines to choose from in the 360 building area.... Do you have a basic Budget in mind?
Here are a few to ponder>>>>>>>>
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/7-...crate-engines/

My first question would be>>> Do you have a Smog Check program in your area that you have to comply with? Before you get started?
RacerHog,

Thanks for the reply! I plan on putting an initial investment into the engine and then building it as I have the time and money. Right now I have about $3,000 to get started, and I hope to finish the whole thing somewhere in the $4,500 to $5,000 range. Right now I'm pretty much just working whenever I can to save money and waiting for my friend who is searching (locally) for a short block for me.

Concerning Smog- The great state of Kansas does not have any laws regarding emissions.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:46 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 879 Likes on 858 Posts
( Concerning Smog- The great state of Kansas does not have any laws regarding emissions. )
That will make thing much
[size=13px]easier..
AS for the intake and Carb... I would recommend a Performer RPM Duel Plain and a Holley Vacuum Secondary 750 CFM
I like the 9.5.1 compression ratio on the 360's or a little higher....
Cam wise I think I would stay somewhere in the operation range of Idle to no more than 6000rpm..
Should put you in the 10-14 MPG range, if you keep your foot out of it...

JUST my 2 cents.... Keep us posted... Cheers [/size]

Last edited by RacerHog; 01-27-2022 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 501 Likes on 483 Posts
Try Blueprint engines...