Steering Box issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Steering Box issue

Hello, I recently purchased a 1968 Sport Satellite convertible with power steering. I noticed the power steering box was leaking and brought it to my trusted mechanic as I am not that mechanically inclined. I purchased a rebuilt power steering box from Buy Auto.com and my mechanic installed it. Unfortunately the steering was stiff and the steering wheel stays in what ever position you put it when turning and doesn't return to center on its own. The steering was fine before the replacement only the box was leaking. Thinking the rebuilt box was defective, I returned it and received another one and again had my mechanic install it. Same result, stiff steering with the wheel staying in what ever position you put it in not returning on it's own.

Any ideas besides finding a new mechanic? I open to that as well.

Thank you,
Old 12-11-2020, 07:00 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
MM -

Is the steering shaft or pitman/idler arm binding anywhere, how does it sound when you turn the wheel, and sorry, but have to ask, there is the correct fluid in the box, right?
If your mechanic installed the box, he should be the one diagnosing and fixing it.

Archer
Old 12-11-2020, 07:26 AM

Thanks for replying. I'm using Power Steering fluid from CARQUEST in the pump. I'll check to see if the steering shaft or pitman/idler arm is binding anywhere. It doesn't seem to make any strange noises while turning the wheel. it's cold up hear in the Northeast now so I'll wait for a decent day and check the items you suggested. I agree that the mechanic should diagnose the issue.

I'm trying to locate another mechanic that will look at it in the spring
Old 12-11-2020, 10:11 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
MM -

You can do some stuff yourself.
Have someone turn the steering wheel and watch the steering shaft turn under the hood.
See if anything is touching.
Two steering boxes "almost" rules that out.

Finding a Mopar mechanic who knows older cars can be tricky.
Posting your location or going to local speed shops and asking can help.

I wouldn't hold off until spring. If there is a warranty on the part, it'll probably be expired by then.

Archer
Old 12-11-2020, 11:10 AM

Thanks, I'll have someone turn the steering wheel and see if anything is touching.

I live in north Central CT. The part is warranteed for 1 year. Thanks for the tip on speed shops.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:19 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 879 Likes on 858 Posts
Also Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and turn the engine off and let it sit over night and then try it again in the morning... This helps to purge all the air out of the system.
Also, With the front wheels off the ground.... Center the steering wheel.... with the engine running, the steering wheel should stay straight and centered.... It is moves left or right. the box needs adjustments.
Also... Make sure that the Alignment is set to the proper specs for the car.. A Must !!
Old 12-13-2020, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'll try them