2001 T&C. Starter engaged momentarily while at 55mph on interstate

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 T&C. Starter engaged momentarily while at 55mph on interstate

2001 Chrysler Town and Country LXi 3.8L

This cost me a $140.40 wrecker bill and a starter. It ruined the starter, which I replaced. It starts and runs fine now. No Brake or ABS light. Only code is P0456 (EVAP). I haven't figured out what caused this although I suspect something with the ABS might be involved.

It did this momentarily at a slow speed (~25mph) in 2018. It did not ruin the starter that time. Both times when it has happened all the accessories (gauges, dash indicator lights, radio, etc) went out/non-functional (for about 2 seconds) except for the red 'Brake' light and yellow 'ABS'. These lights came ON during this 2 seconds event. At that time the engine lost power and the van "fell on it's face" like the ignition switch was turned off, but it wasn't. The last time it happened (2018) I replaced the Electronic Brake Control Module (CAB) and all was fine for a while (~9 months). Then occasionally the yellow ABS light started coming on temporarily then go off, usually before my next drive cycle. No ABS code is displayed when pulling codes. Yellow ABS light has been coming on occasionally (maybe once every 2 weeks) since then but has had no effect on drive-ability otherwise.

Any ideas?

What could cause the starter solenoid to energize while loosing power and all instruments/ dash lights etc (except for 'Brake' and 'ABS') while driving 55mph down the interstate?
Old 02-14-2020, 06:17 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 879 Likes on 858 Posts
Welcome to the site.... I had a 2003 Model. Nice vans, Ours got hit and totaled. Anyway. Sounds like you have a lot of issues could be all related but i doubt it. Not sure where you are, or the history of the van, But let me give you my thoughts off the cuff.
If you have too many keys hanging off the key ring, that might swing and cause an issue....
I would also suspect a power relay is dropping out or that you might have a power distribution problem due to connections.
Not sure what scanner you are using, But it sounds like your going to need someone with a factory scanner to deal and find the issues at hand.
Check all the connectors and tug on the wiring and move it around to see if you may have a bad connection. That my help in finding the issues.
Also Check for service bulletins to see if this is a common problem... You can us something like AllData and pay to use that information. It should help you trace some of your other problems. and you will have it to use for one year.

Hope you get this fixed. Nice vans, we liked ours a lot.... Keep us posted. If we can help ask away and we will try to do our best. Cheers
Old 02-15-2020, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 501 Likes on 483 Posts
I was wondering if it had a aftermarket remote start on it?