What project are you working on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
Here is a thread about a newer SRT8 Charger that a guy in AZ is building. I talked to him a little about joining up and posting up a build thread on here so that way the members here could see this (still working on him joining). It is a pretty wicked build. A little background, the guy is president of Ballistic Fabrication (pretty big player in the four wheeling community). They can fab up just about anything you want and have been growing very fast.

Check out his build - http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=927423
Old 01-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Admin

bboogieart - I'm liking that purple and black color sceme on the motor. Is that staying?
Old 02-05-2011, 04:43 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by 78D200
bboogieart - I'm liking that purple and black color sceme on the motor. Is that staying?
Thanx, I usually hear the opposite.

and Yep, I never liked stock so it will have all kinds of little things that only my car will have. I will keep you posted. Right now I am teaching myself how to use my new oxy acetylene set-up. I love the fire knife, it's old school just like me.:cool
The motor I bought out of a truck for $150.oo ( still have the truck specific parts.) is a 76 400 bored .040 with flat top pistons to raise compression, and reworked stock 452 heads, it has an R.V. cam ( lost spec. sheet) Intake and carb are 66 afb from an old Polara wagon with a 383 I had back in the 80's Trans is a 74 727 that I built myself. Being a 74 it has the part throttle kick down not available in 68. The dual inlet air cleaner came with 68 H.P. 440 that is still waiting it's turn for a trip to the machine shop. It didn't fit the small afb but with the stock bottom plate and a tall filter it is basically a stealth open element air cleaner.
Attached Thumbnails What project are you working on?-torches-001.jpg   What project are you working on?-flame-002.jpg   What project are you working on?-hmmmmm-002.jpg  

Last edited by bboogieart; 02-05-2011 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:18 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What project am I working on? I'm working on getting f#^$ed-up tonight cause I'm sick of my wifes ****! Been working 12 hour days, 6-7 days a week, and I asked for the sidewalk to be shoveled by her precious 24 year old kid. Spent 20 minutes arguing over the need for the walk to be shoveled. I wanted it to be shoveled, I dont NEED to give a reason!
Old 02-06-2011, 04:26 AM
Admin

Scotty - isn't that always the way. You know, in some states, you are allowed to kick a person out of your house after a certain age.

bboogieart - that is a pretty nice setup. My fiance's grandfather is giving me his old setup soon. They come in real handy.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine is a 1969 Cougar XR7, 390 wide Ratio 4speed (1 of 110) with a factory Sunroof( 1 of 261). Car has just 50,000 miles but needs a full restoration. I'm in the process of doing body prep. Car is FOR SALE, so whether I see the project to the end or not depends on if it sells first.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:02 PM

okay this is what i am working on

My 71 Dodge Dart Plans 418 storker motor 727 and plans to mini tub it also.
Attached Thumbnails What project are you working on?-rca_0015.jpg   What project are you working on?-63.jpg   What project are you working on?-th_027-1.jpg   What project are you working on?-th_rca_00622.jpg  
Old 02-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Admin

Originally Posted by SBdart418
okay this is what i am working on

My 71 Dodge Dart Plans 418 storker motor 727 and plans to mini tub it also.
Sounds like a great sleeper project.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by Silverick
Well, don't hate on me, but:

I have a '70 Firebird Formula 400 4spd/12 bolt project in the garage that I just put a battery charger on. She'll start and I'm going to get her out of the garage to assess whether I am going to make a decent effort to make her a driver or... let her go. This car is powerful and she'll roast both back tires in second gear, until your done but, has some rust issues that I am not sure that I want to deal with.
You decide to sell the Firebird, le me know -
Old 02-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Mopar Fanatic

My Albatros

Been gathering parts for the conversion of many 1967 Belvedere from the LA A/t to a RB 4 speed. Did a stupid move and purchased a running 413 (long story and don't feel like embarrassing myself in public) with a 727. Now contemplating just putting the 413 in and building the 440 I wanted? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated - Seen a post of someone buying a Poly with a pushbutton - if I pull the 273 and 727, it will be for sale. Runs and drives - very low power, but shifts fine.

The other part to this conundrum is my 1968 GTX should (fingers crossed) be out of the body shop by April 1, just in time for Mopars on the Strip. Really looking forward to this. Well when it comes out, the "painter" said he would be willing to paint the Belvedere - thinking of do a quick conversion (or not) and dropping it off. Well, may have a 413 for sale too? Sorry for the rambling, but thats my winter.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:18 AM
Admin

I've always liked the 413 RB motors for some reason. It's a little unique and you don't see many around.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:31 AM
Mopar Fanatic

413 sounds like a good project to me as well, to each his own tho right?

Scott at least you have a job. I do agree that you need not explain yourself. How ever we do what we must to keep the peace.

Some pic's of my work. Not great but it is coming back.

Looks like I am getting some penetration but patience is still my toughest obstacle.
Attached Thumbnails What project are you working on?-metal-melding-004.jpg   What project are you working on?-metal-melding-006.jpg   What project are you working on?-metal-melding-011.jpg   What project are you working on?-metal-melding-010.jpg   What project are you working on?-metal-melding-015.jpg  

Old 02-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Mopar Fan

My 69 Project

Three years later, I have finally got the body and paint done, turned out quite nice, now its put it back together time. Time and money never enough of either. Regards CD
Attached Thumbnails What project are you working on?-dsc_0311newpaint-edit.jpg  
Old 02-18-2011, 03:20 AM
Admin

bboogieart - Looks like a little too much heat. otherwise it looks good.

Clay Dots - Very nice!
Old 02-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by Clay Dots
Three years later, I have finally got the body and paint done, turned out quite nice, now its put it back together time. Time and money never enough of either. Regards CD
I like the black.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
Good start Boogie! Yeah, looks a tad hot. What rig and set-up are you using for the welding? Your tack welds looked good. A bead of those all the way around would do the trick too! I'm only about 10 minutes ahead of you in welding experience!
Old 02-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Well I've got a few things I'm working on like usual. lol so I'll start with the coolest my 68 coronet. I havent gotten any real recent pictures of it but, I took these picture right after I stole these wheels for it lol. I got these wheels and tires for $600.00 the wheels are 17" american racing hopster wheels and the tires are nitto's. the wheels and tires both are brand new and had never been mounted to a car til these pictures lol. But I took my rear end out and I am getting ready to blast all the under carriage, I've got a new gas tank and sending unit shackle bushings, shocks, patch panels... its on its way. I am thinking of aiming towards the green one. lol I have a soft spot for green lol

Here is a 68 satellite I bought a couple weeks ago it is on ebay right now. I'm working on the front end. So its something I'm working on lol

And this one isn't a mopar but I saw a picture of one a long while back and fell in love and I just new this was gonna be my gas saver hot rod lol. I am meeting this guy here this next week to buy this car. It doesn't look great in the picture but if you google image these things they can be amazing. this one is a 1976 celica the body is the same from 73-77. And if your thinking of buying one... good luck lol it took me 3 months to find this one! any of the other few I have found were way too far away from me.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:37 PM
Mopar Fanatic

I'm sure that you could custom fabricate something to make that push button work but I would trade/sell it off and get something that will "bolt right in" (per say).
I have read about a company called Imperial that offers a kit to use cable shifted trannys in a non cable car. I think tho you might want to sell that poly to someone that really want one and get something lighter. Try looking for a poly head type web site. I know there is such a thing but can't provide a link. Look into older car collectors and maybe some hot rod or rat rod sites.that specialize in the poly. The truth is out there.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:47 PM
Mopar Fanatic

bboogieart - Looks like a little too much heat. otherwise it looks good.

Clay Dots - Very nice!
Thanx and I agree. It was going well but I started going to fast and melted the pipe. Patience and me are strangers. I need to get some more tips and put in the time. It will come. Practice, practice, practice. Once I get the hang if it I will be able to do a lot more than just turn a wrench, huh? I will post up dates as weather permits, as the garage doesn't get warm when it's below zero.

rcknrolfender79
So that's the R/T clone? Very nice I wish my 68 still had frame rails but my loss is your gain right?

Last edited by bboogieart; 02-19-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:22 AM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by bboogieart
rcknrolfender79
So that's the R/T clone? Very nice I wish my 68 still had frame rails but my loss is your gain right?
Yes sir thats it. I wish you still had frame rails on yours as well, its really sad to see how these cars are slowly dwindling away. I am very happy with my buy on this one, the more I get into the more surprised I am at how well its held up, or was taken care of (if thats what did it).
Old 02-23-2011, 01:19 AM
Mopar Fan

Thumbs up Thanks Guys! Tim/ 67GTX/ Boogie

For the kind words on my black 69, I wasnt sure this was ever going to see the light of day as every panel was damaged or rusty. Replaced the rear quarters, wheel wells, rocker panels , trunk floor & extensions some of the floor and other odds and ends like rear window corners etc.. Really liked black and hoped to get it straight enough. Luckly I know one of the best body and paint guys in Idaho hats off to Reid Fitch of Clear Classic Restoration .
Never give up and enjoy the journey, hope to acually be able to drive this car someday, soon I hope. Best Wishes!
Old 02-23-2011, 02:57 AM
Admin

Just got done another rear dana 44 axle build for a guy. Suppose to have 5 or 6 more showing up sometime in the near future. Got some insulating done on in the ceilar, under the kitchen floor. Still have some more to do though. Also got everything I need to re-roof the garage/workshop. It's only 400 sq ft of roof so it should only take two days. Striping it down to the rafters and installing all new plywood (someone thought 1x4 finish boards were fine).
Old 02-24-2011, 10:50 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Actually 1x lumber is fine, unless it is spread out quite a bit. It is thicker than most plywood used. Actully most contactors around here use 15/32 osb. 1x Lumber is a good 5/8ths inch. Used to be 7/8ths when I started in the lumber buisiness, but everything is getting cheaper and costing more. It has held up on my roof since the early 70's just did the reroof two years ago and I should have taken the old shingles off (doh) but the roof itself is solid. Sounds like you have some work to do there. I would love to be able to rebuild rears but tool money is limited and I am still practicing on the welding. At least I can do my transmissions. I took the trailor hitch off the Chrysler last week end and found some nasty rust under it back by the bumper supports. Looks like I am gonna need to weld.

Caleb I wish I had frame rails too. It lasted a long time considering I drove it in the winter a lot in the early 80's well into the 90's. I sold the grill and hood off it to a local guy that thought the body shell looked great (for Wisc) I don't have the skill to install new frames. So here we are.
Attached Thumbnails What project are you working on?-trailer-hitch-68-009.jpg   What project are you working on?-trailer-hitch-68-018.jpg  
Old 02-25-2011, 03:31 AM
Admin

The problem with using finish boards is that they are weaker and have a tendency to rot faster than plywood, especially when the job was not done right to begin with.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:58 PM

Working on 68 Charger

Getting back to restoring my 68 charger. Needs lots of body work.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:26 AM
Admin

Originally Posted by swilson68
Getting back to restoring my 68 charger. Needs lots of body work.
Got any pictures?
Old 02-28-2011, 05:26 AM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by bboogieart
Caleb I wish I had frame rails too. It lasted a long time considering I drove it in the winter a lot in the early 80's well into the 90's. I sold the grill and hood off it to a local guy that thought the body shell looked great (for Wisc) I don't have the skill to install new frames. So here we are.
They do look pretty bad. On my 40 Ford pickup I restored not too long ago, I had some bad spots on the frame that were completely rusted out. I cut out all the rust and welded 3/16 plates on the outside of the frame. I completely welded all around the plates I put on. You may be able to do something like that on yours (if you can get to it without taking your frame rails off) That way you won't run into any alignment problems. It's not exactly the "right" way of doing it. But it works and will probably be a stronger frame than it was to start with.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:05 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Caleb the above pic's are of my Chrysler. I will be fixing them. The Coronet frame rails are completely gone. nonexistent. The car is setting on the ground and I need to get it on some blocks or something so I can dismantel it further.

Originally Posted by scotts74birds
Good start Boogie! Yeah, looks a tad hot. What rig and set-up are you using for the welding? Your tack welds looked good. A bead of those all the way around would do the trick too! I'm only about 10 minutes ahead of you in welding experience!
Thanx, I agree that spot welds will do the trick. Kinda like a stitch welder. I do have trouble with being patient though. Practice practice practice.
It is "Radnor" on the gauges and in the box but the dealer I bought it through says it's a victor. Model numbers follow;
fuel gauge is RC-250-15-510
Oxy gauge is RC-250-80-540
torch WH270FC-v
filler rod 1/8" copper coated steel (RG-45)
fuel set at 5#
Oxy set at 5#
I am having trouble finding accesories for it though.I want smaller tips to try on the mild steel pipe like say 000 (.022), also I want a number 4 (.073)tip to do heavier steel, but all I can find is the number "0" (.035) I already have. I don't find any bigger cutting heads either.
I think I got a hobby kit, but it was all they carried when the was burning a hole in my pocket. The old set I had years ago was twice as big (?)

I have done some more spot welds but I was thinking a smaller filler rod would be a help as it does not melt as fast as the pipe I am working with.
All I can find is 1/8" rod. Not a lot of options local though. I have to go back to the gas vender today any way as I had a little exctiment yesturday. As I was welding on the pipe, I was making a few sparks. Didn't think that was right, when I took the goggles off I saw the shut-off valve on the accetalene tank had a small flame walking around on it. WOW I turned it all off fast. The guy said he doesn't understand, as that shouldn't happen. He is going to replace the tank today. I will have to order more tips and filler rod then, as he is the only place I seem to be able to get supplies. I will update soon.
Thanx for all the advice and encouragement every one.
boogie

Last edited by bboogieart; 03-01-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally got the Satellite in the garage for the front suspension/ disc brake upgrade. Got the suspension off and most of the parts blasted in the benchtop cabinet and am getting ready to powdercoat everthing in satin black. I got most of the parts ordered and am looking for the UPS truck any day now.I'll post some pics soon.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:23 AM

I changed out the fuel line, as the old one was original and had rusted through, Just replaced brake booster and master cylinder and replaced one brake line down to the proportioning valve, need to replace the other one now, spits fluid out and still wont bleed, i checked all wheel cylinders and other lines and couldn't see any holes or leaks, but its sucking air in somewhere, they will not bleed, no fluid only air coming out of bleeding tool..... oh well i'll keep hunting!

Quick Reply: What project are you working on?