View Poll Results: What size lift looks best on a two wheel drive Dodge?
No lift
100.00%
2-4in
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

87 Ram Stalling, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 Ram Stalling, Help!

Hello, I have a 1987 Dodge Ram D150 2 wheel drive pick up truck. It has a 318 gas engine and 2 barrel holley carburetor, automatic transmission. I have had it since July (4 months). When I first got it, I noticed the truck had issues starting, knowing the fuel pump was mechanically operated, I changed the fuel pump. My father swore up and down that the fuel filter was brand new and looked new, so we didn't change it. Shortly after changing the fuel pump the inspection ran out. I put new motor mounts on and then the truck began having a stalling issue. I adjusted the carburetor by quarter turns and the truck ran better for a few days, and then stalled again. I continued to use carb cleaner and adjust the carburetor and nothing has been helping. The truck stalls in gear when warm. When the truck would stall after 5+ times, it wouldn't start. So I'm having a gut feeling my starter is going bad as well. With the older Dodges, they have a higher idle and you have to knock it down by hitting the throttle to get it into the lower idle. So I considered the timing and idle to be off, wasn't that. The choke is fine, works great. There was two vacuum hoses that were disconnected, so I connected them. It helped a little bit, but not enough for the truck to run without any issues. I also found a very small, minor, vacuum leak and when placing a finger over the hose and shifting into gear made little to no difference. Also, the truck did pass inspection and emissions with just a fuel-air adjustment on the carburetor. (Amazed the crap outta me!)

Could I have gotten a faulty fuel pump? Would changing the fuel pump and fuel filter be a good idea? What are any other issues this could be?

Please help, I need my ol' truck on the road!!
Old 11-04-2013, 08:39 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 881 Likes on 860 Posts
Put a gage on it and check the fuel pressure......
You might need to open the carb up and make sure it's good and clean...
Also check to make sure all the fuel hoses are in good condition. Even the ones out back at the fuel tank..