Need help - mechanical question on possible new car

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2023, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help - mechanical question on possible new car

Hi all,

New member here and hoping for a little feedback. Looking at a 70"s Mopar to buy. It was out of my price range but the seller sent this:
"Right now I’m in the middle of tearing the motor apart to install a new cam, lifters, and rocker assembly. The aluminum heads I installed were not compatible. I'll sell for less as is."
Me:Hmmm interesting, so what heads are coming with it? And if you could give me a direction on what cam lifters etc would be ideal would save me the research
Seller:"I bought brand new pro comp aluminum heads. Installed the wrong rocker assembly. It's an easy fix."

The Car: 40 over 383 Big Block completely rebuilt. Aluminum Pro Comp heads, TTI headers, 750 Demon Carb, intake, brand new wiring, brand new gauge cluster with Autometer gauges, brand new fuel system, brand new Micky Thompson tires, Weld Racing Wheels, new leather interior, and lots more.

As much of a car guy as I am I would probably have a reputable local shop handle the repair. Does it sound like an easy fix or does it sound like a mess to try and fix? What questions should I be asking and does anyone have a stab in the dark idea on what repairs would cost? Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

​​​​
Old 10-11-2023, 03:32 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 80 Posts
My life's experience is simple. Your first instinct sent up a red flag and you have reservations or you wouldn't be asking on this forum. When in doubt bail out!!
Old 10-11-2023, 09:19 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 879 Likes on 858 Posts
Good Morning Dan,
My suggestion (If you get the car)... Dont mess with trying ti figure out the motor.... Take it to Brian over at IMM >>>> http://www.immengines.com/
He will get it handled for you and make sure its right... I'm sure if it was as easy as the dude said? He would have corrected it by now...
Anyway, I dont remember the other builder that may be closer to you... Dugans? Waynes? or something like that... But i know for sure IMM with do it rite...

Best of luck... Cheers
Old 10-14-2023, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 501 Likes on 483 Posts
It’s hard to say what the problem is with such a vague statement but it could be rocker ratio bent valve’s or who knows what. Everything from a few parts to a complete build so I would assume the motor is junk and go from there.
The following users liked this post:
RacerHog (10-15-2023)