Accessing bellhousing bolts 2006 Jeep commander 4.7L

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accessing bellhousing bolts 2006 Jeep commander 4.7L

I’m in the process of replacing the engine in my 2006 Jeep Commander and having a difficult time accessing the top 2 to bellhousing bolts to separate the engine and transmission. I have unbolted the trans bracket and lowered it down as far as possible but still cannot access these 2 bolts. I know there has to be an easier way and if anyone has done this before on the Jeep Commander your advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Dave
Old 05-04-2015, 09:36 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I'm not familiar, but for those that are, posting the engine / trans combo might be helpful. A friend of mine slapped an exchange long block into a 4 whanger CJ, and we were able to reach down with a combo wrench from the top. Since I'm getting old, the way I do the bolts in my Dart is to crack them loose from the top, then lower the tail of the TF, and "stick" up in there with every extension I own and a wobble socket, to "run" them on out, from the bottom.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:11 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I am not familiar with the Commander but on the ZJ, XJ and WJ we had too use long extensions and wobblers on the end. It is a PITA and not any better going back in. At least one of the trucks used a torque bit for those, can't remember which though.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bellhousing bolts removed.

Thanks for everyone’s advice. Lowering the tranny I could not see the 2 top bellhousing bolts much less feel them. Since the engine is coming out anyway I removed the intake manifold and lowered the tranny a little and removed the bolts from the top. This Jeep Commander has everything crammed so tight I used a long wooden wedge to hold back the wiring harness. Putting these 2 back in will be just as hard and if it were not for these 2 top bolts an engine replacement is not that difficult.
The reason I’m replacing this engine is because I never had that talk with my wife about the purpose of the instrument panel temperature gauge and what antifreeze smells like. The water pump bearing went out and leaked antifreeze in the grocery store parking lot. She assumed it was the air conditioner condensation then drove 18 miles and a light came on to check gauges then the engine quit. Had it towed home replaced the water pump to find out head gaskets are blown and clanging from underneath. At 127k miles this is the only issue I have had with this Jeep so here I am replacing the engine.
Transmission shop mechanics would be laughing as they could get them out with no problem.
Thanks again, Dave
Old 05-05-2015, 03:56 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
In some instances there may be an inspection plate or just some body plugs covering access holes